I began writing in 2003 – first for the Arts4learning website and then for Teaching Artist Journal. I write on a variety of topics specific to dance (teaching artistry, books, curriculum, arts integration, and careers in modern dance) as well as about arts education in general. I currently am a Contributing Editor for Dance Teacher Magazine and a Contributing Writer for DIY Dancer.
I have a chapter on language, literacy, and dance in early childhood creative dance classes in Mira-Lisa Katz’s edited volume Moving Ideas: Multimodal and Embodied Learning in Communities and Schools. In 2014, Valerie Gutwith and I wrote a small book/journal entitled Dance Education Essentials: 55 Objects and Ideas for New Preschool-12th Grade Teaching Artists.
Some writing examples:
- The Intimacy of the Choreographic Process: A Conversation with Molly Rose-Williams and Molly Heller (diydancer.com)
- Studio Sessions: Thryn Saxon (diydancer.com)
- Dana Genshaft’s Next Steps After Receiving the Princess Grace Award (Dance Teacher Magazine)
- The University of Illinois Is Celebrating 50 Years of Dance (Dance Teacher Magazine)
- A Life Full of Making Dance Happen (Stance on Dance)
- Dancing Off the Page: Adding Movement to Storytime
- Book to Boogie Blog: “So Many Feet”
- What Makes a Good Book about Dance? (Horn Book Magazine)